About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ham and Bean Soup with Knoedels- From Zoe's Kitchen

This soup was a staple at my husband's house when he was growing up.  He loves it so much and I have grown to like it a lot too. Plus it is pretty healthy, cheap and easy to make!  I use dried beans because they are easier to prepare for this meal.  I have cooked it both in a crock pot and regular stove top. I will share with you the crock pot version today.


Ham and Bean Soup with Knoedels
2 cups dried beans (I use pinto beans, you can use navy beans too)
1 lb ham diced
1 onion, chopped
6 cups water
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper

For knoedel (if you are gluten free like me, just leave these out)
1 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 tsp. salt
water

For Garnish
1 onion, chopped
White vinegar


Directions:

Rinse and sort beans. Throw out any shriveled beans. Add beans to large stock pot with 6 cups water. Bring to hard boil, cover and let sit for one hour.

Drain water and add beans to crock pot with 6 cups water. Add ham, onion and salt and pepper.
Let cook over low heat for 6-8 hours.

Turn crock pot heat to high to bring to a low boil. Mix together knoedel ingredients with just enough water to make the dough soft. Drop by small spoonfuls into soup. Let cook until done.

For Garnish (This is what really makes this soup yummy!)
Mix onion and white vinegar in a bowl. Spoon some over the soup and serve! So good!


I will be linking up with a few of these parties!
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Signature 2

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...