About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pie and Preparing for the Holiday

Last weekend we had some pre- 4th of July fun with family, food and even fireworks!

I did make the pies that I mentioned last post- strawberry pie and lemon meringue. They were both delicious!!

It was hard to find a strawberry pie recipe that didn't call for jell-o or pre-made strawberry glaze. So I just made up my own based on a few recipes I found.


Strawberry Pie

4 cups hulled strawberries
5 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice



Mash strawberries so juice is flowing. Mix cornstarch and sugar together to eliminate lumps. Heat strawberries, sugar, cornstarch , and lemon juice until boiling. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Add to unbaked pie crust. I did a lattice over top of mine and baked at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Yummy!!


For the Lemon Meringue Pie I used a recipe from Eggland's Best Eggs.



Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie

4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar, separated
5 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Combine 1 cup of sugar, cornstarch and cream of tartar- mix to eliminate clumps. Add to medium saucepan. Whisk in water and milk, stirring while heating over medium heat. Bring to a boil.

In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks. Whisk 1/2 cup of the milk mixture in and then add back to the saucepan. Simmer over low heat 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat add butter and lemon juice and pour into prebaked pie crust.

In medium bowl beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Spread meringue over top and let bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.





For both recipes I used the "Alan's Pie Pastry" from my BHG magazine (I think it was November 2010 edition).

I didn't have sour cream so I subsituted plain yogurt and I miscalculated the time I needed to prepare the pies so I didn't let them chill the full 2 hours. But the crusts turned out wonderful, chewy and flaky. Yum Yum.

Alan's Pie Pastry

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 cups cold unsalted butter
2/3 cup ice cold water
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vinegar

Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter with pastry blender. Add water, sour cream and vinegar to flour mixture. Stir to mix, don't overmix. Refridgerate for 2 hrs or overnight. Makes 3 single crust pastries.


This week has been just getting ready for traveling this weekend and having family over for the fireworks celebration on Sunday. Just trying to make it through work until then!! And hopefully be able to get a few sewing/stitchy projects done!!
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Your pies look wonderful!! I'll bet they were gobbled up in no time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...